I got a lot of comments after my last post that I should consider some fucker mistaking me for a college freshman a compliment.
Um, no. In that one misguided sentence, that guy encapsulated the professional struggle I go through every day. I am female, blonde, and I look younger than I am, and it is very hard for me to be seen as a serious professional in this world. That comment was just a reminder of how far I have to go to achieve that status.
So I thought I’d help this guy, and anyone else who is trying to compliment a young professional woman, and list some acceptable ways to compliment me.
- I really like what you did with the (insert name here) web site. I will proceed to tell you the ways in which it still sucks, but I will feel complimented that someone actually recognized my work.
- I really enjoyed that last article you wrote. I will know you are probably lying, but I will feel all warm and fuzzy.
- We are thinking about (insert web design strategy here), and we wanted to know what you thought about it. Ask for my professional opinion, and I will instantly like you.
- You look great, have you lost weight? I am human after all.
- Can I buy you a drink? The answer may be no, depending on the situation, but I will be flattered. (Unless you are Patty wanting to buy me appletinis, and then I will know you are trying to kill me.)
- I love your shoes. The old standby— works every time.
Hopefully that clears things up. Notice the absence of references to age.
My next post will be about web stuff, I promise.